The Sweet Taste of the Holidays at Q Hotel Anguilla
Quintessence Hotel Pâtissier Joyah Gumbs is known for two things: her effusive smile and the amazing desserts she prepares for the guests every day at Julians restaurant in Quintessence Hotel Anguilla. Among her specialties are colorful macaroons, chocolate mousse, light fruit-infused meringues, and intricate layered parfaits caged in marbled chocolate.
At Julians—A Tropical French Bistro, Chef Joyah’s classic holiday favorite is her very own Q Christmas cake recipe. This rich cake, flavored with coffee and vanilla, is an important ingredient in several of her after-dinner culinary delights.
Here, Chef Joyah shares her Christmas Cake recipe which can be incorporated in your own holiday favorite or made as a three layer cake for the perfect festive dessert.
Q CHRISTMAS CAKE RECIPE
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups of cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. baking soda
- 2 cups coffee, hot
- 2 cups milk, room temperature
- Incorporate eggs, sugar, oil, salt and vanilla extract in a Kitchen Aid at medium speed using the paddle for 10 minutes
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda to the egg sugar mixture. Put mixer on the first speed and pour the hot coffee into the mixture at a sturdy pace until done
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula
- At high-speed beat mixer for 15 seconds then reduce speed on the mixer to the lowest and pour the milk into the batter at a sturdy pace until done.
- Continue mixing the batter for 30 seconds more then remove from machine and pour into greased and floured lined pans.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Baking temperature: 325 F
Baking time: 20 – 30 minutes
Yield: 18 servings or 1 3-layer cake
Calories: 777 cal